Tuesday, July 1, 2008

You Silly Tease

As I lay in my backyard this afternoon for water play time with Bella it hit me. There I was, in my bathing suit, laying in my folding sun-chair...sweating to death. Every now and then I would let the water coming out of the little spout on Bella's Froggie swimming pool (Wal-Mart $4.99 special) sprinkle on my feet to try to keep my body temperature somewhat regulated. It felt a little ghetto, but no one could see me anyway. Soon the Devil Heat of Texas began to get to me. Next thing I knew, I found myself rigging up our Elmo the Firefighter Sprinkler to the water hose only to strategically place it where just the right amount of continuous water would sprinkle across me every few seconds. For a moment, I felt like a genius as I lay perfectly cool in the hot sun...until I glanced up and saw through the cracks in the fence the glistening blue water of the pool next door teasing me like a teenage girl on prom night. (Sorry about that one, but you have to admit it's funny.)
It was that moment that I realized, my little set-up with Elmo and the Froggie Pool probably belonged somewhere that my neighbor would resemble Cousin Eddie from National Lampoon's Vacation. Especially when I found myself irritated that Bella actually wanted to play in the Elmo Sprinkler rather than have me use it for my personal mist machine.
How do I feel about the fact that my Russian neighbor who is in Europe the entire Summer, each and every Summer has a perfectly maintained swimming pool that sits un-used just steps away from my door? Well, I think it's kick you in the crotch, spit on your neck fantastic. And if you ever hear that Andy had to come and bail me out of Denton County Jail...it will be for trespassing.

1 comment:

Andi Hawkins said...

I CANNOT BELIEVE YOU USE THE ELMO SPRINKLER. I layed out ALL weekend with that!!! Been using it for years. Personally, if I put it on the "mist" setting I think it is better than a pool. I have lost that darn thing twice. Once in a move, once over the winter, but I marched my little butt back to target and bought another one both times. The best 9.99 I ever spent. Three times. You should have seen me and my mom using a brick to angle it just right between us while the boys sat in the blue plastic Wal-Mart pool. It was fabuloso. And the grass is extra green.